A Day trip to the Botanic Gardens on Staten Island New York

My sister and I took the Staten Island ferry, on a recent warm spring day, across to see the Chinese Scholar's Garden. We had to catch a bus from the Staten Island end to Snug Harbor, and the Botanical Gardens.
Some of these photos are the closest we got to the Scholar's garden, as, because of the late arrival of our 4pm ferry into the NY terminal at 5.15pm, the garden was closed by the time we got there!
However we did enjoy a pleasant stroll through the whole gardens themselves...at Snug Harbor. I tried to do a little research on this bell. It is called the Merchant Marine bell. According to a search on google, Snug Harbor was started in 1833 for elderly retired seamen.

Opened in 1833, Sailors' Snug Harbor became the first and only home for retired merchant seamen in the United States. It saw a peak of 1,000 residents by 1900--a number that would decline after the Social Security system was implemented. By the mid 1950's, fewer than 200 residents remained and by 1976 it was moved to North Carolina. Following a series of landmarks regulation, the facility was sold to New York City and converted into a cultural center. Today it houses the Newhouse Center For Contemporary Art, the John A. Noble Maritime Collection, the Staten Island Botanic Garden, and the Staten Island Children's Museum.



It was a quiet time of day, not many people around. But very pleasant.


a child's play area close to the Children's Museum section.






there is even a castle for the kids with a secret garden behind it.

I am sorry I didn't take the time to read what this memorial was for.

a wonderful little chapel ....

and so many old buildings!



for some strange reason I love looking at the old bricks, and imagining what it was all like back then!


as the shadows started to lengthen, we made our way back to the bus...



and to the ferry terminal....



there were quite a few little intrepid craft out on the harbor....
along with all the regular ones...


and of course we were pleased to take some shots of Lady Liberty on our way back over to Manhattan.

If you would like to share, or read any other contributions to My World this week from around the globe, please go and click on the My World icon in the sidebar over there.....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the trip. I enjoyed all the photos.
James said…
Wonderful photos. I would love to walk around Snug Harbor and the gardens.
Thanks for posting.
chrome3d said…
The little row boats for kids must be a hit for bored kids. The place opened up nicely during the post to a different kind of harbour scene I imagined at the start.
Leanne said…
Thanks for taking us along. What a beautiful place I would love to sit on that seat under that lovely tree. I really enjoyed this post.
Deanna Lack said…
Wow, gorgeous photo journal of your day! I especially love the kids' castle and the springy boats!
SandyCarlson said…
What a neat place. I didn't know it even existed. Very cool.
Anonymous said…
definitely some place i would take the time to visit when i come to new york. your photographs are lovely and i so enjoyed the commentary that accompanied them.
thanks for sharing.
Regina said…
Wow. Nice post. I missed NY with this one.
Barb said…
Your photos are creative and beautiful. I love the name "Snug Harbor!"
Here I am blog hopping and what an enjoyable time I have had visiting Staten Island, New York...

Your photos are wonderful, especially the one that says it all..

The Statue of Liberty !

come on over.. I am having a blog giveaway !
Hugs,
Linda

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday

My World in New York this week.

Australian Dust Storm cont... life in the sepia tinted lane..a late My World and an early Skywatch